News

Ex-NFL player Hernandez indicted in June murder

Ex-NFL player Hernandez indicted in June murder

Former NFL player Aaron Hernandez was indicted on first-degree murder. Photo: Reuters

BOSTON (Reuters) – Former National Football League player Aaron Hernandez was indicted on first-degree murder by a grand jury in Massachusetts for the killing of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, a court official said on Thursday.

Hernandez, a former New England Patriots tight end, is scheduled to appear in a Massachusetts court on Thursday for a hearing related to the June shooting of Lloyd, whose bullet-riddled body was found in an industrial area near Hernandez’s home in North Attleborough, Massachusetts.

An official with the Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River, Massachusetts, who declined to give her name citing court policy, said Hernandez had been indicted. A spokesman for Bristol Country District Attorney Sam Sutter declined to comment.

Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to six criminal counts, including murder and weapons charges tied to Lloyd’s death. A lawyer for Hernandez has called the prosecution’s case circumstantial.

Hernandez is due to appear at Attleboro District Court on Thursday at 2 p.m. EDT (1800 GMT).

Hernandez was cut from the Patriots on June 26, shortly after police arrested him for purportedly orchestrating the execution-style murder.

Lloyd, 27, had been dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancĂ©e. Prosecutors said Hernandez soured on him a few nights before the body was found, and that the two had argued after Lloyd socialized at a nightclub with people Hernandez disliked.

Two other men have been arrested in connection with the case: Ernest Wallace, who turned himself in to police in Florida and has been accused of being an “accessory after the fact,” and Carlos Ortiz, arrested in Connecticut on charges of being a fugitive from justice.

Hernandez, 23, had been a rising star in the NFL who signed a $41 million contract with one of the league’s top franchises before his arrest.

Earlier this month, the TMZ website published an image of what it said was a letter Hernandez wrote to a fan from jail saying he believed God was testing him, and that eventually he would be found not guilty of murder.

Recent Headlines

in National, World

Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border

Israeli soldiers patrol outside the northern Gaza Strip on July 28, 2014.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu dashes any hopes of a swift end to the three-week conflict as Palestinian fighters launched an audacious cross-border raid.

in Sports

Only arguing remains in Sterling trail

FILE - In this Nov. 12, 2010, file photo, Shelly Sterling sits with her husband, Donald Sterling, right, during the Los Angeles Clippers' NBA basketball game against the Detroit Pistons in Los Angeles. With a $2 billion sale of the Clippers hanging in the balance, a judge is set to determine Monday, June 30, 2014, if the terms of a family trust alone are enough to confirm Donald Sterling was properly removed as trustee and allow his estranged wife to sell the team without his consent.

Only final arguments and a ruling remain in the trial to determine whether Donald Sterling's estranged wife can sell the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion.

in Lifestyle

Amazon offers 3D printing to customize products

A box from Amazon.com is pictured on the porch of a house in Golden, Colorado on July 28, 2008.

Amazon will offer 3D printing services that allow customers to customize and build earrings, bobble head toys and other items.

in Lifestyle

U.S. doctor contracts Ebola in Liberia

In this 2014 photo provided by the Samaritan's Purse aid organization, Dr. Kent Brantly, left, treats an Ebola patient at the Samaritan's Purse Ebola Case Management Center in Monrovia, Liberia. On Saturday, July 26, 2014, the North Carolina-based aid organization said Brantly tested positive for the disease and was being treated at a hospital in Monrovia.

American doctor, Kent Brantley, has tested positive for the tropical disease Ebola.

in Lifestyle

Pope Francis renews attack on mafia

Pope Francis waves as he leads a mass at the palace of Caserta, former residences of the Royal House of Bourbon, in Caserta, southern Italy on July 26, 2014.

Pope Francis called for nature to be protected from criminal abuse during a visit in the southern Italian town of Caserta, near Naples.