News

Donovan open to move abroad if no deal with L.A

Donovan open to move abroad if no deal with L.A

Striker Landon Donovan says he is a ready for a new challenge abroad if no deal is reached with MLS. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – United States striker Landon Donovan says he is a ready for a new challenge abroad if he does not reach an agreement with his Major League Soccer club L.A Galaxy.

Donovan, who has had loan spells with English Premier League club Everton and Germany’s Bayern Munich in the past, will become a free agent in December if he does not extend his current deal with the Galaxy.

“Right now I am enjoying myself, I want to continue enjoying myself, we have received offers from teams in different countries that are intriguing,” Donovan told Fox Sports’ Fox Soccer Daily on Monday.

“I am still going to speak with the Galaxy and see how they value me and see where they want to go, going forward, but I am really open in a way that I haven’t been before in the past.

“I was pretty content to stay in LA. But if it doesn’t work out and we can’t come to an agreement here then I am ready for a different challenge and we will see what happens,” he added.

Donovan took an extended break from the game after securing the MLS Cup title with the Galaxy in December and lost his place in the U.S. national team.

However, he returned to the international stage at the recent CONCACAF Gold Cup and was the tournament’s joint top scorer with five goals, helping Juergen Klinsmann’s team to the title.

Losing Donovan would be a blow for the Galaxy after David Beckham left the club last season for a brief pre-retirement spell in France with Paris Saint Germain.

Irish striker Robbie Keane remains as the team’s top international alongside Donovan but the club’s promise to bring in a big-name player to replace Beckham has yet to materialize.

While Brazilian Kaka of Real Madrid and England midfielder Frank Lampard of Chelsea were both strongly linked with a switch to L.A, the club instead filled their remaining elite ‘designated player’ slots last week by signing homegrown defender Omar Gonzalez to a new contract.

Recent Headlines

in National, World

Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border

Fresh
Israeli soldiers patrol outside the northern Gaza Strip on July 28, 2014.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu dashes any hopes of a swift end to the three-week conflict as Palestinian fighters launched an audacious cross-border raid.

in Sports

Only arguing remains in Sterling trail

FILE - In this Nov. 12, 2010, file photo, Shelly Sterling sits with her husband, Donald Sterling, right, during the Los Angeles Clippers' NBA basketball game against the Detroit Pistons in Los Angeles. With a $2 billion sale of the Clippers hanging in the balance, a judge is set to determine Monday, June 30, 2014, if the terms of a family trust alone are enough to confirm Donald Sterling was properly removed as trustee and allow his estranged wife to sell the team without his consent.

Only final arguments and a ruling remain in the trial to determine whether Donald Sterling's estranged wife can sell the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion.

in Lifestyle

Amazon offers 3D printing to customize products

A box from Amazon.com is pictured on the porch of a house in Golden, Colorado on July 28, 2008.

Amazon will offer 3D printing services that allow customers to customize and build earrings, bobble head toys and other items.

in Lifestyle

U.S. doctor contracts Ebola in Liberia

In this 2014 photo provided by the Samaritan's Purse aid organization, Dr. Kent Brantly, left, treats an Ebola patient at the Samaritan's Purse Ebola Case Management Center in Monrovia, Liberia. On Saturday, July 26, 2014, the North Carolina-based aid organization said Brantly tested positive for the disease and was being treated at a hospital in Monrovia.

American doctor, Kent Brantley, has tested positive for the tropical disease Ebola.

in Lifestyle

Pope Francis renews attack on mafia

Pope Francis waves as he leads a mass at the palace of Caserta, former residences of the Royal House of Bourbon, in Caserta, southern Italy on July 26, 2014.

Pope Francis called for nature to be protected from criminal abuse during a visit in the southern Italian town of Caserta, near Naples.