News

Work at World Cup stadium halted after worker dies

Work at World Cup stadium halted after worker dies

WORLD CUP:Seven workers have died building Brazil's World Cup stadiums. Photo: Associated Press

SAO PAULO (Reuters) – Brazilian authorities halted work at the temporary stands of the stadium that will host the opening match of this year’s World Cup following the death of a worker, the company in charge of the construction said on Monday.

The regional labor authority of Sao Paulo demanded that Fast Engenharia stop building to make a technical analysis of the project, the company said in a statement. Fast Engenharia said that after the analysis it will announce a new time frame for finishing the temporary stands.

Fabio Hamilton da Cruz died on Saturday after falling 25 feet while installing floors on the stands, becoming the third construction worker to perish while working on the Arena Corinthians on the outskirts of Sao Paulo. Seven workers have died building Brazil’s World Cup stadiums.

The stadium was supposed to be finished in December but the delivery date was pushed back after two workers were killed in November when a crane toppled over.

Work has been slow since then and there is concern that safety may be taking a back seat to haste as workers rush to finish the stadium in time.

(Reporting by Tatiana Ramil; Writing by Alonso Soto; Editing by Eric Walsh)

Recent Headlines

in Sports, Viral Videos

WATCH: The history of the ‘high-five’

highfive

It's the gesture associated with all things awesome but the history behind this iconic handshake might surprise you.

in National

White House bemoans lawmakers’ delay on border crisis

border

White House officials expressed growing alarm that Congress may not approve $3.7B in emergency funds to tackle the child migration crisis.

in Sports

FIFA rejects calls to strip Russia of World Cup

soccer2

The 2018 World Cup will be held in Russia, where FIFA says the tournament can "create positive change."

in Sports

Friday’s Sports Minute

braves

A look at the sports news making headlines today, Friday, July 25.

in National

Creepy porcelain dolls left on California front porches

dolls

Police are investigating dolls left on the doorsteps of at least eight families, that homeowners said bore a resemblance their daughters.