News

Police: Sandra Bullock’s accused stalker had stockpile of weapons

Police: Sandra Bullock’s accused stalker had stockpile of weapons

SANDRA BULLOCK:Police found the weapons cache, which included several machine guns, at the Montrose, California, home of 39-year-old Joshua Corbett following his June 8 arrest at Bullock's residence in an upscale neighborhood near Beverly Hills, prosecutors said. Photo: Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – A man accused of breaking into Oscar-winning actress Sandra Bullock’s Los Angeles home pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to charges that he possessed a stockpile of weapons, the Los Angeles County District Attorney said.

Police found the weapons cache, which included several machine guns, at the Montrose, California, home of 39-year-old Joshua Corbett following his June 8 arrest at Bullock’s residence in an upscale neighborhood near Beverly Hills, prosecutors said.

Corbett, who has already pleaded not guilty in Los Angeles Superior Court to felony charges of burglary, stalking and possession of a machine gun, now faces 19 additional felony weapons charges.

Corbett’s bail was set at $2 million on the new charges in addition to the $185,000 bond from the original charges. He is being held in Los Angeles County Jail.

Bullock, the star of such films as “The Blind Side” and this year’s Academy Award-winner “Gravity,” was at home during the alleged break-in but prosecutors said Corbett was not in possession of the machine gun at the time of the break-in.

A message left with Corbett’s attorney, Stephen Sitkoff, was not immediately returned. Sitkoff has said that Corbett suffers from serious mental health issues and did not intend to harm Bullock.

Corbett faces up to seven years and four months in prison if convicted on the three earlier felony counts as well as an additional maximum prison term of 12 years for the new counts.

(Reporting by Eric Kelsey; Editing by Piya Sinha-Roy and Cynthia Osterman)

Recent Headlines

in National, Sports

Ohio State University fires marching band director

Fresh
osu

OSU has fired the director of its celebrated marching band amid allegations he knew about "serious cultural issues" including sexual harassment.

in Sports

Ravens’ Rice suspended 2 games

Fresh
rice

Pro Bowl running back Ray Rice has been suspended without pay for the first two games of the season for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

in National

Unemployment claims at lowest level since ’06

jobs

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits fell to the lowest level in more than eight years last week.

in Sports

Maybin banned 25 games for doping violation

sandiego

San Diego Padres outfielder Cameron Maybin has been suspended for 25 games.

in Lifestyle

If you need a passport, prepare to wait

passport

The State Department says its global database for issuing travel documents has crashed, causing major delays for travelers.