News

Nigeria offers $300K reward for missing girls, U.S. offers aid

Nigeria offers $300K reward for missing girls, U.S. offers aid

KIDNAPPED:Protesters hold signs during a march in support of the girls kidnapped by members of Boko Haram in front of the Nigerian Embassy in Washington May 6. Photo: Reuters/Gary Cameron

ABUJA (Reuters) – Nigerian police offered a 50 million naira ($300,000) reward on Wednesday to anyone who can give credible information leading to the rescue of more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by Islamist rebels.

Last month’s mass kidnapping by militant group Boko Haram in the remote northeastern village of Chibok triggered an international outcry and protests in Nigeria, piling pressure on the government to get the girls back.

President Barack Obama says the immediate priority is finding nearly 300 teenage girls who were kidnapped from their school in Nigeria three weeks ago.

But Obama says the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram must also be dealt with.

The brazen April 15 abduction has sparked international outrage.

And Obama says in an interview with NBC’s “Today” that he’s glad the Nigerian government is accepting help from U.S. military and law enforcement advisers.

The White House says U.S. armed forces are not being sent.

(Reporting by Camillus Eboh; Writing by Tim Cocks; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

Recent Headlines

in Sports

This week’s top sports shots

Fresh
little

A look at the biggest stories and best photography in sports this week.

in Sports

This weekend’s sports schedule

Fresh
yankees

A complete look at this weekend's sports schedule.

in National

Making headlines this week

surf

A look at the week's biggest newsmakers and the stories you won't soon forget.

in National

WATCH: The history of Labor Day

Updated
21-overlay4

While you take your three day weekend, remember those who struggled to get Friday and Saturday off.

in Lifestyle

Rice replaces ice in India bucket challenge

An Indian school boy eats a midday meal provided free at a government school in Hyderabad, India, Thursday, Sept. 5, 2013. India has offered free midday school meals since the 1960s in an effort to persuade poor parents to send their children to school, a program that reaches some 120 million children. The country now plans to subsidize wheat, rice and cereals for some 800 million people under a $20 billion scheme to cut malnutrition and ease poverty.

The famous "ice bucket" challenge is inspiring thousands of Indians to follow suit, but with a twist - they are replacing ice with rice to help the country's hungry people.