News

Judge approves NFL concussion settlement

Judge approves NFL concussion settlement

CONCUSSIONS:More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions. Photo: Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A federal judge has granted preliminary approval to a deal that would compensate former NFL players for concussion-related claims.

Attorneys Sol Weiss and Christopher Seeger said in a statement that Monday’s decision represents “an extraordinary settlement” for the plaintiffs.

The NFL last month agreed to remove a $675 million cap on damages after U.S. District Judge Anita Brody questioned whether there would be enough money to pay all claims.

The settlement is designed to last at least 65 years and cover retirees who develop Lou Gehrig’s disease and other neurological problems.

More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions.

Recent Headlines

in Sports

Hernandez lawyers trying to get evidence tossed

Fresh
hernandez

Lawyers for the ex-New England Patriot have continued their effort to have cellphone evidence thrown out.

in National, World

Scores possibly exposed to U.S. Ebola patient; 4 isolated

Fresh
texas

Up to 100 people may have had contact with the first person to be diagnosed with the deadly virus in the U.S.

in Lifestyle

Facebook changes real-name policy, allows aliases

facebook

Facebook says it will stop requiring users to go by their real names.

in Sports

Panthers’ Alexander banned 10 games for doping

alexander

DE Frank Alexander, who missed the first four games of this season due to a previous violation of the policy, won't return until mid-December.

in Sports

Giants sink Pirates in NL Wild Card playoff

giants1

A four-hit shutout by Madison Bumgarner and a grand slam by Brandon Crawford carried the Giants to an 8-0 win.