News

If he can’t go to prom with Miss America, he’ll go alone

If he can’t go to prom with Miss America, he’ll go alone

MISS AMERICA:Nina Davuluri urged the school to rethink its suspension of Patrick Farves, but declined his invitation to prom. Photo: Reuters

By Chris Francescani

NEW YORK (Reuters) – A Pennsylvania high school student, suspended last week for asking Miss America to his prom, has shrugged off offers from a reality TV star, Las Vegas prostitutes and scores of young women on social media, and says he will go to the dance alone.

“I’m still dateless,” Central York High School senior Patrick Farves, 18, said on Thursday. “I think I’d feel more comfortable, and have more fun, if I went alone.”

Last week, Farves asked 2014 Miss America Nina Davuluri, who was appearing at an assembly at his high school, to be his prom date. He asked even though a school official who had heard rumors of his plans pulled him aside minutes before the assembly and warned not to do it.

“By that time, my mind was already set,” Farves said last week. “I was already in the zone.”

PHOTOS: Miss America pageant

Farves was suspended from school for three days, a development that attracted nationwide news coverage. Prom date offers have been pouring in ever since.

“The dude who runs the (Nevada Moonlite) Bunny Ranch brothel contacted me and said he’d personally fly out two of his bunnies to go to the prom with me,” Farves said on Thursday. “I don’t think my mother would like that.”

Reality television star Khloe Kardashian said on a late-night talk show that she would go to the prom with him, but Farves also said he presumed her offer was a joke.

While he will go to his school’s prom alone, he said, he has accepted an invitation from a girl who works with him at the local Taco Bell to attend her prom at nearby West York High School.

He declined to name his date in order to protect her anonymity.

“We went dress shopping for her the other day, and everybody in the dress store recognized me and wanted to take pictures with me,” he said. “Her friends are freaking out.”

(Reporting By Chris Francescani; Editing by David Gregorio)

Recent Headlines

in Sports

This week’s top sports shots

little

A look at the biggest stories and best photography in sports this week.

in Sports

This weekend’s sports schedule

yankees

A complete look at this weekend's sports schedule.

in National

Making headlines this week

surf

A look at the week's biggest newsmakers and the stories you won't soon forget.

in National

WATCH: The history of Labor Day

21-overlay4

While you take your three day weekend, remember those who struggled to get Friday and Saturday off.

in Lifestyle

Rice replaces ice in India bucket challenge

An Indian school boy eats a midday meal provided free at a government school in Hyderabad, India, Thursday, Sept. 5, 2013. India has offered free midday school meals since the 1960s in an effort to persuade poor parents to send their children to school, a program that reaches some 120 million children. The country now plans to subsidize wheat, rice and cereals for some 800 million people under a $20 billion scheme to cut malnutrition and ease poverty.

The famous "ice bucket" challenge is inspiring thousands of Indians to follow suit, but with a twist - they are replacing ice with rice to help the country's hungry people.