News

Harrison Ford has surgery after ‘Star Wars’ set injury

Harrison Ford has surgery after ‘Star Wars’ set injury

HARRISON FORD: The 71-year-old star injured himself on the set of the latest "Star Wars" installment. Photo: Associated Press

Movie veteran Harrison Ford has undergone surgery to treat a broken leg following an accident on the set of the new “Star Wars” film.

The 71-year-old actor was believed to have fractured his ankle during filming at Pinewood Studios in England last week, when his foot was crushed by the door of the Millennium Falcon, the spacecraft which his character Hans Solo pilots.

However, his publicist has since revealed the injury is worse than previously reported, but he is recovering well after surgery.

A statement released by his representative Ina Treciokas reads: “His surgery was successful and he will begin rehab shortly. “He’s doing well and looks forward to returning to work.”

Reports suggest Ford’s broken leg will keep him out of action for up to eight weeks. The actor’s son has said it could force Ford to be shot from the waist up for the remainder of the film.

Shooting on “Star Wars: Episode VII” has continued in his absence and the film is still expected to hit movie theaters in December, 2015.

The actor is reprising his role as Han Solo. It is the first of at least three new films that will continue Lucas’ saga after Disney purchased his production company, Lucasfilm, in 2012 for $4.05 billion.

The film will also have original “Star Wars” actors Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill reprise their roles along with Ford. The film will star Oscar-winner Lupita Nyong’o, Andy Serkis, Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac.

Recent Headlines

in National

Army refers Bergdahl case to commander, punishment possible

This undated image provided by the U.S. Army shows Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl. U.S. officials say the only American soldier held prisoner in Afghanistan has been freed and is in U.S. custody. The officials say Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's (boh BURG'-dahl) release was part of a negotiation that includes the release of five Afghan detainees held in the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

An investigation into Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's 2009 disappearance from his base in Afghanistan has been completed.

in National

Ex-officer not charged in fatal Milwaukee shooting

milwaukee

A prosecutor says he won't file charges against a white former police officer in the fatal shooting of a black man.

in Sports

Monday’s Sports Minute

lebron

Here is a look at some of today's big sports stories, on Monday, Dec. 22.

in National

Cuba’s famed cigars get a foot in door of U.S. market

cigars

Cuban cigars are considered by many as the best in the world.

in Entertainment, National

Obama: Sony hack not an act of war

interview

President Barack Obama says the massive hacking was not an act of war but instead was cyber-vandalism.