Crash forces racer Dario Franchitti to retire

Crash forces racer Dario Franchitti to retire

INDYCAR CHAMP: Dario Franchitti, 40, suffered multiple injuries in an October crash. Photo: Associated Press

JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer

Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti says doctors have told him he can no longer race because of injuries sustained in an IndyCar crash last month.

Franchitti fractured his spine, broke his right ankle and suffered a concussion in the Oct. 6 crash in Houston.

The crash occurred on the last lap when his car made contact with another car and went sailing into a fence.

WATCH: Dario Franchitti’s crash

The 40-year-old underwent two surgeries on his ankle and recently returned home to Scotland to recover.

The four-time IndyCar champion has been the face of the series since he returned in 2009 following a brief stint in NASCAR.

He won three consecutive titles from 2009 to 2011. His 31 victories are tied for eighth on the all-time list.

Earlier this year Franchitti and his wife, actress Ashley Judd, announced their separation.

Recent Headlines

in National, Sports

Lawyers for Boston Marathon bomber to argue for new trial

Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is pictured in an undated FBI handout photo

Lawyers for Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev are due in court on Tuesday to seek a new trial for their client, who was sentenced to death in June for the 2013 bomb attack that killed three people and injured more than 260.

in Sports

Kentucky remains on top


The Wildcats are off to a 7-0 start and got 59 of the first place votes.

in Sports

Warriors’ perfect start being put to the test


Golden State extended their NBA record start to 19-0 with a narrow win over the Utah Jazz but that inevitable first defeat of the season may come sooner rather than later.

in Sports

Ravens beat Browns with touchdown off blocked field goal


Baltimore Ravens safety Will Hill gave up the tying touchdown in the fourth quarter Monday night, but he atoned for that error in a big way.

in National, World

China, U.S. high-level cyber crime talks to begin Tuesday


Top U.S. and Chinese officials will convene this week in Washington for the first round of cyber security talks following the signing of a bilateral anti-hacking accord in September.