News

‘American Idol’ Scott McCreery victim of home invasion robbery

‘American Idol’ Scott McCreery victim of home invasion robbery

CRIME VICTIM:Singer Scotty McCreery poses with the breakthrough artist of the year award backstage during the 4th annual American Country Awards in Las Vegas, Nevada Dec. 10. Photo: Reuters/Steve Marcus

(Reuters) – Country music singer and “American Idol” winner Scotty McCreery was among several people robbed at gunpoint by intruders in a home in Raleigh, North Carolina early on Monday, but no one was hurt, police said.

Three gunmen – two armed with pistols and one with a rifle – entered the dwelling near the North Carolina State University campus shortly before 2 a.m., took wallets, cash and electronic items then fled, police spokesman Jim Sughrue said.

McCreery, 20, a former grocery clerk who is reported to be a student at North Carolina State, was visiting the home at the time and was one of several people who was robbed, Sughrue said.

After the gunmen fled the residence, believed to be a rental apartment or condominium, someone from the home called police, who have yet to identify the perpetrators, Sughrue said. He added that there was no apparent connection between the robbers and the victims.

McCreery, the cherubic-faced baritone from Garner, North Carolina, near Raleigh, won the 10th season of Fox television’s hit “American Idol” pop singing contest in May 2011. He went on to see his debut country album, “Clear as Day,” open at the top of the Billboard charts in October of that year.

He became the first country singer to win the “Idol” title since Carrie Underwood in 1995.

(Reporting by Steve Gorman in Los Angeles; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Sports

Thursday’s Sports Minute

grizzlies

Here's a look at some of the big sports stories making headlines today, Thursday, Dec. 18.

in Sports

Ray Rice investigation heating up

Former Baltimore Ravens NFL running back Ray Rice and his wife Janay arrive for a hearing at a New York City office building November 5, 2014.

Hundreds of NFL employees gave records to investigators looking into how Commissioner Roger Goodell handled evidence in the Ray Rice case.

in Lifestyle

We’re living 6 years longer

doctor

Fewer people are dying from cancer and heart disease in rich countries and there's a better survival rate in poor countries from tuberculosis and malaria.